Monday, September 27, 2010

Lilac wine

My drawings have stagnated... I need distance and time and patience. In the mean time, I've been making the mental switch back to painting.

I think one of the hardest and most important questions I ask myself and agonize over is why anyone should invest their time into looking at one of my pieces. I look to the art world, to communication, to process, and to the internet. I've been really interested in the physicality of paintings: a frame with stretched canvas, a wooden board, a piece of paper, a wall... As I searched through the sculpture and paintings section of MOMA's website, I came across...

Hannah Wilke. I don't quite know how I missed her before this. I have seen several of her works (online, in classes, in real life) but never attached a name and persona to the works as a whole.

 thanks for the photo, MOMA
Ponder-r-rosa 4, White Plains, Yellow Rocks
1973

thanks, HannahWilke.com
from her SOS Starification Series 
1974

I don't always love feminist work but I like her. I like her boldness. I like that she was nearly always topless (including during installations). I like that she made things that were both beautiful and meaningful and she used this beauty as part of the piece. Mostly, I like how much thought is evident in her pieces: I feel like the artist thought through every detail of her pieces far more than we could ever know.

1 comment:

  1. "I think one of the hardest and most important questions I ask myself and agonize over is why anyone should invest their time into looking at one of my pieces."

    story of my life. but there's really no good reason anyone should invest the time to look at any piece.

    ReplyDelete